Grooming, Lifestyle, Tips and Guides
comments 20

Becoming The Well Dressed Man – Personal Style

Personal Style

Credit: Mr Porter

To round-up the ‘becoming the well-dressed man’ series, we’ll be looking into different style personalities and help you determine your personal style. Remember, the first and most important part of becoming a well-dressed man is how your clothes fit followed by your natural colouring and what colours suit you and finally your style personality.

Your personality, attitude, lifestyle, hobbies, cars and even the holidays you like to take all have an impact on the clothes that you choose. This defines your style personality otherwise known as your signature. Understanding your signature will make you realise why you like to dress in a certain way. It’ll help you look at ease in whatever you choose to wear and also make putting your wardrobe together much easier and in a cohesive manner.

During your lifetime, there will be many influences that will determine your signature at that point of your life– for instance, age, lifestyle and budget are some of these influences on your clothes. I remember when my elder brother and I had almost all the colours of Timberland boots available, including the latest air force ones. Now my perception of these footwear is different, they still look good but I’d rather wear something lighter and slicker. Borrowing an idea from Shakespeare’s well known words on the seven ages of man makes it possible to demonstrate how the different stages of your life influence the way you dress.

The Seven Ages Of Man

1. Schoolboy: During this time of your life your upbringing has a major influence on your wardrobe – your parents buy your clothes and you have little say in what you wear. Your individuality starts to show usually in your early teens when you are subject to peer pressure.
  2. College boy: Freedom at last right? There is no one telling you to wash your hair, clean your shoes or even get out of bed. This is the time when you’ll probably be at your most creative in your style dressing.
  3. Rake: Now you have started earning an income of some sort and you have to make decisions on how to budget. For instance, do you spend money on what you wear to work, or on what you wear at the weekends and out socialising? You may even start to look at men’s magazines and blogs for inspiration on options available and learn what is fashionable.
  4. Lover: You now want to attract a partner and grooming will have become an important part of your daily routine. You are more likely to hang up your clothes rather than dump them on the ‘dump chair’ (we all had that dump chair in the room where everything you’ve worn previously lays to rest) because you have invested more in them.
  5. Parent: With the demands of parenthood, your income and budget for clothes may once again be limited. In addition, your clothes may need to be more hard-wearing and practical to withstand the traumas of messy babies and toddlers.
  6. Businessman: With a taste of success now knocking at the door it is time for you to consider how others see you. Perhaps you’ll want to think about spending a little more of your income on yourself and your wardrobe. Also, remember that your body might not be in the same shape as it once was.
  7. Retirement age: Retirement brings the opportunity to be the real you without the constraints of considering what to wear to work. For many men, this can be a formidable challenge. All your life experiences will have influenced your style and you need to ensure that this look is now completed rather than being a mishmash of many different stages of your life.

There are basically six style personalities you could fall under – you could also be a combination of more than one style personality.

Style Personalities

• Creative: You have an individual look, which varies from day-to-day. You may feel challenged in a formal business environment.
  • Dramatic: You love to shop and buy the latest fashions and gadgets. You like bold and strong colours that make a statement – you also probably change your hairstyle often.
  • Metro-sexual: You have a sense of security in your look and are not afraid to make others aware of your interest in looking after yourself. You care about your grooming and invest time and money in it.
  • Classic: You are a man of tradition – you are comfortable with your look and see no reason to change it. You don’t like taking risks, particularly with your clothes. You are well-coordinated and rarely experiment with different colour combinations.
  • Natural: You have a very relaxed attitude to virtually everything; you are the typical laid-back man. You like your clothes to be comfortable and easy to look after. You’re the one who struggles the most with formal business wear.
  • International: You may feel you’re a bit of all the other looks. This the true international look – adapting your style to suit your location and the occasion. Even though you may be on a budget, you tend to buy only to complete your capsule wardrobe.

1429579567624

Your style personality or signature will be the catalyst in bringing your whole wardrobe together. Complete the style personality questionnaire below as honestly as you can (you can select more than one answer you feel appropriate for each question) and in the comments, either copy and paste your answers or let me know how many times you have answered A, B, C, D, E and F for each question. For an example, 1abc, 2a, 3cdf, 4abcd and so on. I will reply with what your dominant style personality is based on your answers. Know yourself, know your style and stay fresh.

Style Personality Questionnaire

20 Comments

1. Lekan says

How would you describe your overall look?: C. Thought through and coordinated

What do you wear for work?: E. Comfortable clothes

What do you wear at the weekend?: D. Smart Casual

What is your favourite jacket?: D. A navy blazer

What are your favourite shoes?: A. Boots

How would you describe your tie collection?: D. Good quality and matching my shirts

What do you wear for a night out on the town?: E. A sweater or T/polo-shirt or casual shirt and jeans

What are your thoughts on grooming products?: B. I use products on my hair, F. I have a good skin care routine

What would your favourite holiday be?: E. Walking or hiking, F. A place with some culture

What is your dream car?: D. Mercedes/Jaguar

• Felix says

Hi Lekan, thanks for participating. Your dominant style personality is that of a ‘Classic’. I hope this helps. Cheers.

• Felix says

Hi there Pratik, your dominant style personality is ‘Dramatic’. You also have traits of ‘Metrosexual’ and ‘Classic’ style personalities. I hope this helps. Cheers

2. How would you describe your overall look?: D. Traditional, E. Relaxed

What do you wear for work?: B. Clothes that make a statement, C. Clothes that are elegant, E. Comfortable clothes

What do you wear at the weekend?: C. I like texture and interesting fabrics, D. Smart Casual, E. Combats or jeans and a T-shirt

What is your favourite jacket?: B. A designer one, D. A navy blazer, F. A fitted sports jacket

What are your favourite shoes?: C. Ones with tassels

How would you describe your tie collection?: E. I don’t have a collection

What do you wear for a night out on the town?: A. Whatever catches my eye

What are your thoughts on grooming products?: A. I use natural products when I think about it, B. I use products on my hair

What would your favourite holiday be?: A. Somewhere I have never been before, B. Action packed, F. A place with some culture

What is your dream car?: D. Mercedes/Jaguar, F. Mini Cooper S/Audi TT

• Felix says

Hi Jo, yours is an interesting mix. Your dominant style personality is a combination of ‘Dramatic’, ‘Classic’ and ‘Natural’. 3 dominant style personalities is not unusual – career, personality and lifestyle can occupy their own space as it does with you. In this case you could potentially be an ‘International’ who adapts their style to suit the location and occasion. I hope this helps – Cheers.

3. Tokunbo says

How would you describe your overall look?: E. Relaxed

What do you wear for work?: D. Conservative, never overstated clothes

What do you wear at the weekend?: F. Smart jeans and a polo shirt

What is your favourite jacket?: D. A navy blazer

What are your favourite shoes?: F. Slip-on loafers

How would you describe your tie collection?: E. I don’t have a collection

What are your thoughts on grooming products?: D. I use them when I need to

What would your favourite holiday be?: A. Somewhere I have never been before

What is your dream car?: D. Mercedes/Jaguar

• Felix says

Hi Tokunbo, your dominant style personality is ‘Classic’. The Classic man ;). I hope this helps. Cheers.

4. Charlie says

1. C 2. B,F 3. B,F 4. B,D,F 5. B 6. A,B,C,D
    7. D,E 8. B 9. D,F 10. B,E

Thanks

• Felix says

Hi Charlie, your dominant style personality is ‘Dramatic’. I hope this helps… Cheers

• Felix says

Hi Tochi, your dominant style personality is ‘Natural’. I hope this helps…..cheers.

5. Ceekee says

1;b,c,e,f
    2;c,e
    3;a,d
    4;f
    5;b,c,d
    6;a & just a couple of ties for special occasions
    7;c,e
    8;b,d,e
    9;a,f
    10;d

6. How would you describe your overall look?: C. Thought through and coordinated
    What do you wear for work?: C. Clothes that are elegant, D. Conservative, never overstated clothes
    What do you wear at the weekend?: B. My latest buys, D. Smart Casual, E. Combats or jeans and a T-shirt
    What is your favourite jacket?: D. A navy blazer
    What are your favourite shoes?: B. My newest shoes, C. Ones with tassels, D. Brogues
    What are your thoughts on grooming products?: D. I use them when I need to
    What would your favourite holiday be?: D. I like to return to places I know, F. A place with some culture
    What is your dream car?: D. Mercedes/Jaguar

7. Tegan says

How would you describe your overall look?: E. Relaxed

What do you wear for work?: F. Current, but not high fashion clothes

What do you wear at the weekend?: E. Combats or jeans and a T-shirt